We had our first big accident last weekend. I was at Kroger and Bob was home with the kids. I got a call from him and he immediately said, "Come home now." I knew it was serious immediately because Bob is not one to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I left immediately.
Mari was in the basement playing with her train table when Bob went upstairs to make a sandwich. While up there, Mari got on the treadmill and turned it on. It flung her back and she was stuck between the treadmill and the wall while the belt of the treadmill ran all over her right side. She had second degree burns on her side, some burns on her arm, and her chin. The worst part was on her right hand index finger. The belt ran so hard that it looked like someone bit a chunk out of her finger. It was all the way down to her bone.
Bob immediately took Mari to Children's Hospital while I waited with James until my mom could get home. At first Children's thought that we would be going home and just treat the wound. We were surprised by that because it looked absolutely horrible. After the doctors sent pictures on to different specialists they let us know that Mari would need to have a little surgery to take out dead tissue and clean it. Since I had thought we were going home, and Mari was starving, I gave her a pack of fruit snacks at 2:30. That meant we had to wait till 9 for the surgery, and Mari couldn't eat. We felt horrible.
Let me tell you though, Mari was SO strong. After arriving to the hospital, she never cried. She never complained. She was so brave and I was so proud of her.
The surgery went well and they actually had to clean some debris out of her bone. They also did a skin graft. She has a cast all the way up to her shoulder because with little kids if they made it shorter it would slide off. She has to have the cast for three weeks.
It was a rough day and night at the hospital, but we felt so grateful for the staff at Children's, and just so fortunate because things could have been so much worse. Mari is going to be okay. For that I am SO thankful.
When we got home from the hospital, our friends had made a huge Valentine's Day presentation at the table for us, and ordered us pizza. Another friend had cupcakes in the fridge for us. God has seriously blessed us with the best friends. We are so loved.
So many have prayed for us and so many have offered help. It wasn't how I wanted to spend our Valentine's Day but we felt oh so much love that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment