Monday, May 16, 2011

Alcock Observations

  1. Everything in Japan is so clean.  We have not seen a single piece of litter while we have been here, and we have been looking!  And this is despite the fact garbage cans are so hard to find!  My mom said there are very few public trash cans because people are expected to take their garbage home with them. 
  2. Most of the buildings we have seen (besides downtown Tokyo) are older, but so well kept up.
  3. Bikes are everywhere!
  4. I know some of my students have worn masks to school at times, and in America we wonder why.  Well, in Japan, many people are wearing masks!  I have seen probably close to 100 people who were wearing masks.  Maybe some of my students can help explain this... do you wear the mask when you are sick or because you don't want to become sick?
  5. The elderly are so active!  We have seen so many elderly riding bikes, traveling on public transportation, walking up the stairs at the subway, walking around downtown, etc
  6. Bobby and got our sunglasses out when we were walking around Tokyo and noticed... no one is wearing sunglasses!  Are sunglasses acceptable?
  7. Yesterday at lunch, we got out our wallets to tip, and the waitor kindly let us know, "No tipping in Japan." 
  8. EVERYONE speaks English!  Okay, maybe not EVERYONE, but I have not used any Japanese thus far!  Everyone we have spoken with spoke great English to our surprise.  Mrs. Oshita said students begin learning English in middle school.  In addition to this, English is everywhere!  We were even give an English menu yesterday when he noticed we were staring at the pictures on the menu, haha!
  9. There are "smoking huts" (as Bobby and I have named them) everywhere.  I can't imagine how smoky it is in there!
  10. Everyone has been SO friendly to us!
  11. We have not had any tax on any of our purchases.  I think tax is built in to all prices?
  12. 
    The vending machines
    
  13. I have only seen one person wearing shorts (besides my husband, haha.)  Despite it being 75-80 degrees F outside, everyone is wearing pants. 
  14. Everyone works hard.  We saw one gentleman at the gas station pumping gas for the customers, and sprinting from one car to the next.

2 comments:

  1. Some people wear masks to protect the germs from being sick, and sunglasses are acceptable.
    When I first came to America, I was surprised that many people are wearing shorts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sakurako! You are such a big help!!

    ReplyDelete