Friday, May 20, 2011

You'll thank me later...

I have to do a post dedicated to the bathrooms of Japan.  If you ever go to Japan, this is important information.  I really wish I had read a guide before I came.

  • The "Western Style" toilet (these names you might see on the doors of the stalls)
    • For my American friends, this is all you, all day.  Go to this door.  This is our standard bathroom.  However, we do have some things to note.
      • Variation: The bidet.  This is interesting.  There are many buttons to choose from to "cleanse" you.  Read the buttons carefully to avoid misfire.  If done correctly, this can be a positive experience for all involved.

      • You may here strange noises (flushing, birds chirping, music, etc) coming from the toilet while in use.  This is okay.  This is something to mask the sounds of the business you are attending to.
      • Caution: Before you enter, take a look at your surroundings.  At first glance this looks like a perfectly normal throne.  But what's missing from this picture?  Toilet paper.  Yes, toilet paper.  This is no mistake!  I have gone into two bathrooms now that do not have any paper products for your use.  This is especially common in Kyoto.  I am SO happy Sharon told me where the small purse sized tissues were located at Kroger!  Keep tissues in your purse at all times.

  • The "Japanese Style" toilet
    • For the most part, this is a hole in the ground.  You have to squat.  I have used this once and only once.  Let's just say, it wasn't pretty.

*Note on toilet paper:  Some of the toilet paper will not have the lines to help you tear the toilet paper.  Don't worry.  The toilet paper holder doubles as a fancy cutting contraption.  Just lift, hold it down, and tear.  It's as easy as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment